three questions to JAMES NEWTON ADAMS

It seems that you have an urge to create. Not just painting but also sculpture and music. Do these other interests feed back into your painting? 

I find that moving between creative vocations gives me a fresh perspective; and that it is easier to work back-to-back in the creative world using different media than it is from everyday life.
Whether something I make is 2D, 3D or sound, I aim to please my senses in a way that I hope the listener or viewer will also appreciate. Mixing music and composing songs is like painting, only layers of sound rather than paint are applied. I often find when moving from sculpture to painting that the paint has become thicker on the canvas as if I was still thinking like a sculptor.
Composition is key to all these creations. A song that doesn’t tell a story is as meaningless as marks on a canvas that have no significance,  or a sculpture that doesn’t demand attention from the viewer.


You studied and worked in London for many years before moving to Skye in 2004. Was the move a lifestyle or an artistic choice?

I lived in London for over 10 years and it was there I discovered my passion for music and metalwork. I had a business creating curtain poles for a nationwide department store untilI I realised that I could never make a reasonable profit unless I expanded and became something I wasn’t prepared to be.
An opportunity came up in Blair Atholl to purchase the Old Smiddy, and the dream of having my own workshop and gallery took hold. I had trained as an artist and this was my calling. One day I packed up my belongings and left the city, never to return. I remember waking up the following day in a highland village thinking ‘what have I done.’  Life was quiet, and I had left all my friends and urban lifestyle behind.



I love the fun and freedom of your paintings. How do you respond to the labels (faux) naive and primitive? And who are your artistic heroes. 

I consciously decided to paint in a ‘faux’ naive way because something about the genre resonated with me. Some of the imagery I had seen in folk art and children’s book illustrations harked back to the time I was born, the early 1970s. The style is a great way to express humour or joy in a more subtle way than simply spelling it out, There is a quirkiness to the Naive that sits between descriptive and pure expression.
When I started painting I discovered the work of Alfred Wallis. I was compelled by his composition and the raw way he painted. Wallis inspired me to let go of my training. I have long been an admirer of many other British naive painters including Lowry, Fred Yates, Simeon Stafford, Gary Bunt and Alan Lowndes. More recently I have been studying the work of John Bellany.

www.kilmorackgallery.co.uk/james-newton-adams-artist
Kilmorack Gallery Magalogue no 3


Comments